Call2Recycle and PeopleForBikes are leading the charge to launch the first U.S. industry-wide, voluntary e-bike battery recycling program
More than 12 million electric bicycles (e-bikes) are estimated to be sold in the United States between 2020 and 2030. That’s 12 million batteries used to power those e-bikes that will need to be safely and responsibly collected and recycled at their end-of-life.
Program Description (click for large view)
What You Need To Know
- To learn more about the program, register for an upcoming webinar hosted by the National Bicycle Dealers Association.
- Beginning February 2022, e-bike retailers can enroll as a participating collection site with Call2Recycle.
- Once enrolled, retail locations will be mapped out on both Call2Recycle’s and PeopleForBikes’ websites, allowing riders to easily and conveniently find their closest drop-off location.
- Call2Recycle will provide safe battery handling and preparation training, recycling kits for end-of-life and damaged/defective batteries, all necessary safety materials and will arrange for the collection, transportation, and recycling of the e-bike batteries.
E-Bike Manufacturers or Brand Owners
- More than 40 bike industry leaders from 20 PeopleForBikes member companies united under a sustainability task force and electric bicycle committee to design the program.
- The program will be funded by the participating manufacturers.
- The funds collected will be used to administer the e-bike battery collection and recycling program, including recycling kits, transportation and logistics, safety materials, and rider education.
- Manufacturers or brand owners can sign onto the program beginning November 2021.
- To Get Started:
- If you are an e-bike brand owner and/or importer, please email Call2Recycle’s E-Bike Program Team at email@example.com.
- The Call2Recycle Team will email you a Battery Recycling Guide and then will contact you to discuss the program details and secure a business agreement.
- Starting February 2022, riders will begin to see collection sites popping up across the U.S. where they can take their e-bike batteries for recycling. If there are no locations immediately available near you, please be patient as the collection network expands throughout 2022.
- Call2Recycle and PeopleForBikes will be launching a widespread rider awareness campaign in September 2022, so stay tuned for more information!